Historically, women and children, have experienced systematic and institutional inequality in our society. We recognize that women and children are disadvantaged by our patriarchal society and because of this, are frequently victimized though violence. We recognize that violence against women and children is both an expression of their disadvantage and a coercive tool used to ensure its perpetuation.
Maggie's Resource Centre, as part of a comprehensive network of services for women and children who have been victimized by violence, provides safe shelter, advocacy, education, and non-judgmental supportive counseling within a feminist perspective.
For the purpose of this mandate, feminism means recognizing the oppression of women and demonstrating a commitment to:
- respecting individual differences
- respecting the rights of all persons;
- working towards equality for all women;
- ensuring accessibility of all services;
- providing opportunity, and protecting the right, to exercise choice within an equal society.
We are committed to the promotion of equality and the end of violence in our world.
To this end,
Maggie's Resource Centre will:
- Provide temporary shelter to women and children.
- Provide non-judgmental, supportive counseling from a feminist perspective.
- Advocate on behalf of women and children.
- Educate the public about violence against women and children.